About Me

My photo
Sydney, Australia
A hopeful emerging filmmaker

Goodbye Maitland! Aloha Sydney!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

So I have been MIA lately. With good cause. Ill run you through a play by play.

Last week I was accepted into the International Film School Sydney. It was a huge surprise to me. In the interview I stumbled and fumbled on my words on a few questions. Not really knowing what to say to "Why should we pick you over the other students applying?" and those kind of questions. Anyway, after I thought I stuffed it big time I accepted that I was going back to Hunter St Tafe for another Semester. I got a call for a second interview via phone. This one went much better and I felt much more comfortable talking to a lovely British man named Duncan Thomas who is the head of IFSS. The very next day at Tafe, Rowdie and myself were walking around outside when I got a call telling me of my acceptance. I was dying inside of excitement and could hardly think.

I had 4 days to pack my life up and run to Sydney. Thank eff my Aunty offered me a room at her place. The rent in Sydney is horrid! So this is like hitting the jackpot and Im hoping to god she lets me stay there for the 2 years this course goes for.

I left for Sydney on Sunday. Car overheated...

whats new?

So mother dearest dropped me off at my Aunts. Unpacked and all that jazz. My room is small, cosy and comfy! And I finally have a built in wardrobe. Something I never had in all our other houses growing up. Silly, but it feels like a luxury. :-)

So lovely Aunty Jenny took me to IFSS for the first 3 days since I was without car. My first day was one Ill probably remember for a very long time. It was eye opening and inspirational in a way. It was mostly an introduction but it felt like a lot more.

"You are hear to be brilliant" - First wise words of Duncan Thomas I heard on my first day.

"You do not have dreams, you have ambitions.. huge ambitions"

"You might think you are an aspiring filmmaker. Throw that out the door. Tomorrow you will be a professional filmmaker"

It almost felt like the first day of the first important step of the path I had chosen.

The people are from all around the world. Everybody is so different and has so many different experiences. They are all different ages and they are all open minded and driven.

On tuesday night on my way home from school with my Aunty she called into a clients apartment. Jenny has a business, she sells kitchens. So this apartment was being renovated and we dropped by to see how the kitchen was going. As the men were drilling and cutting and putting taps and blah blah into the kitchen, we were offered a glass of wine from the couple. I went for a walk outside and the view was AMAZING. It was night time and the lights and traffic and buildings were just wow.

It was overlooking the Anzac Bridge. I feel like such a tourist. It still hasn't hit me that I live in this place.

Today I drove for the first time. My crapbox car was fixed and returned to me. I had no problems in the traffic. Well I might have been honked at once for maaaaybe cutting someone off but oh well. All the drivers here are mental. I thought I could just join them.

Iv probably babbled enough about my Sydney adventures. Pretty much.. long story short.. Im loving it.

p.s. Get dumplings from Chinatown.


web site hit counter